we are everywhere

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Untitled

The anniversary of 9/11 is tomorrow. Five years. Everyone has their memories of what they were doing when they learned of the horrific terror that poured into the center of Manhattan and spread throughout our country.

With all respect to the victims and their families who live daily with loss of their beloved, I do not know their loss. I do not live each day in their skins, bearing the scars of that day.

I am also thinking about tomorrow in the context of my own life and my loss of a child to adoption. I would like to reach out to each of my children to again tell them how precious and wonderful they are to me and how grateful I am that they are present in my life.

It requires some stepping over fear for me as it is not an official day to express love and gratitude, complete with traditional giving of cards and presents. I am afraid that they might think me silly, overly sentimental and too emotional.

Isn't fear, by most people's definitions, at the heart of terrorism? And to me it follows that if I operate out of fear; I only lose.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Funny adoption and terror has been on my mind too.

    I hate how adoption is such a companion, so close to us that have been directly affected by it.

    I love the title of your blog. Love it. And the content too.

     
  • At 2:19 PM , Blogger dbannie said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi

    It's a good comment, I know what you mean about feeling raw, putting stuff out there that you feel like other people won't be able to handle or judge you for, but you know what? Our blogs do matter, people are changing their outlooks, never underestimate the power of the voice.

    Must add you to my links.

     
  • At 1:06 AM , Blogger dbannie said...

    Thank you, Joy.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home