we are everywhere

Monday, November 06, 2006

I get to go to school!

I am enrolled in school and am so exicted to start a class on Thursday! I am taking a two semester credit class on a beautiful college campus which I have driven by hundreds and hundreds of times. I remember being there for a field trip with my high school spanish teacher and think that I have wanted to be a part of that campus for years.

As a kid I loved school. I was fortunate to have a few teachers, generous of spirit and heart, who encouraged and nurtured me during my K-12 years.

Dang. I just reminded myself that I need to stop procrastinating and send a letter to my fourth grade teacher. I would very much like to let her know how she sparked and encouraged me. Teachers need affirmations, too, I believe. She is retired and I have had her address for over a year. Now, if I could just learn to stop putting things off .....

I have heard that procrastination is the flip side of perfectionism. Hmmm..so very true for me. And perfectionism can immobilize me. Maybe I need to go back and look at that...again....(sigh) These natural inclinations of mine don't seem to be maturing out of me with this last BIG birthday.

If I were able to find a class on perfecionism and procrastination in which I could also enroll this week, I just bet the teacher would stand up and say to me, "Dbannie, ...part of the
antidote to perfectionism/procrastination is humility. True humility. Not the false and insincere kind. And true humility is not necessarily what you currently think it to be. Now go home and bring back your thoughts for next time." And hopefully, that teacher would be well...not really quite perfect, but an encouraging instructor and also say to me, "Dbannie, I want to hear what you think."

5 Comments:

  • At 2:42 PM , Blogger Third Mom said...

    Oh, I so need the one on procrastination. Honestly, I think there's something wrong with me. I simply can't get anything started anymore, and the pent up backlog is causing a huge amount of stress. If you find THAT class, let me know.

    And good luck with the one you're taking! Sounds like so much fun!

     
  • At 3:02 PM , Blogger dbannie said...

    If I find THAT class, I will let you know! Probably, though, I won't get an email off to you until half way through the semester...and you will have to put off enrolling until it is offered again...;0)

    I do know this. You haven't been putting off writing some really nice pieces over on your blog, lately! Glad to have been able to read over at your place.

     
  • At 4:26 AM , Blogger Hound Doggy said...

    Congratulations on your birthday and taking the class!

    I was thinking while re-reading your posts that it is amazing how the reunion process gives us all personal growth and courage. We are forced to really examine ourselves and how these events have shaped us.

    I think it is a huge catalyst for change. After all, you got through all this, you can do anything!

    What class are you taking?

     
  • At 9:58 AM , Blogger dbannie said...

    Thanks, Dan for the good wishes.

    You stated that very well, I think, about how reunion causes us to rexamine ourselves and these events that have shaped our lives.

    The class is english for adult learners. And I am very excited about the class and the work.

     
  • At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yay school!!! studying is going to be fun.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home